What's New in this version of Guide HandsFree?
New in version 7 (released: 18/09/2013)
The upgrade to Guide HandsFree v7.05 includes all the improvements and new functionality added to Guide since the previous HandsFree release (v6.031). This includes a brand new user interface and improved stability on the internet, along with a host of minor bug fixes.
A brand new look and feel:
We've given Guide HandsFree a new face; there's a smart new look and feel to the interface with brightly coloured icons on the main menus and new start-up and shut down sounds - created in house by our talented team. By default, Guide HandsFree will startup with its classic look and feel, but users can choose to switch to the new Guide theme if they wish.
Guide HandsFree's web browser is now more stable and consistent. In practice, this means:
- Guide's voices are now more responsive on the web
- Flash content on websites such as YouTube and the BBC is now easier and more stable to navigate with Guide
- Numerous crashes in the Guide browser are now resolved
- If the Guide browser does encounter an error, the user will now be returned to the Main Menu
Guide HandsFree v7 includes Guide's new updated method for downloading files from websites. This means:
- Downloading files from websites is now simpler. Guide HandsFree now provides simple instructions every time a user downloads a file from a website
- Screen locks and freezes have also been resolved during the file download
National Library Service (NLS)
Guide HandsFree v6.031 offered US customers support for downloading, unzipping and reading eBooks from the US National Library Service. Guide HandsFree v7 now includes further improvements to this popular feature:
- Downloading an ebook is now simpler, with simple instructions provided every time a user downloads a book.
- The full name of the NLS ebooks are now displayed making it quicker for users to identify their preferred ebooks
- Moving books from Guide to the NLS player is now significantly quicker and more reliable
In addition, as part of the improvements to accessing the NLS library, NLS customers can now log into NLS library using Guide HandsFree's simple menu options:
- Select option '3 - Access a website' from Guide HandsFree's main menu
- Select option '2 - NLS'
- Follow Guide's instructions for providing your NLS username and password
- Browse the NLS library website for a book to download and read
Plus, Guide HandsFree v7 conveniently remembers your NLS username and password.
Please note: The NLS feature is only available in the US versions of Dolphin Guide HandsFree.
Other web browser fixes:
Other web browser related fixes included in Guide HandsFree v7 are:
- FIXED: When using full web browser, Guide stopped announcing contents of a page.
- FIXED: Web browser was crashing to desktop with certain websites such as Amazon & Play.com.
- FIXED: Quitting the web browser would sometimes return you to the Messenger or Extras menu instead of the Main menu.
- FIXED: Web Browser failed to open on a 64 bit version of Windows 7.
- FIXED: Some web browser address box commands were not working.
- FIXED: Guide web browser crashing after Adobe Flash 11 release.
- FIXED: Crashes reported after quitting web browser
- FIXED: "Close" voice command didn't close the web browser window in Guide HandsFree.
- FIXED: Intermittently can't dictate URL into address bar.
- FIXED: Web favourite changed from standard google.co.uk to the accessible version.
Essential fixes have been applied to the way Guide speaks to ensure that the voices are stable and reliable. These fixes are especially apparent to customers outside of the UK previously experiencing voice crashes.
Other voice fixes included in Guide HandsFree v7 are:
- FIXED: F8 failed to restart the voice in Guide's web browser
- FIXED: When browsing the web, Guide sometimes loses the voices
- FIXED: Changing voices within Guide failed
- FIXED: Some dialogs in the talking installer were not read out entirely
Improvements made to Guide's email module, now available in Guide HandsFree are:
- FIXED: Guide Email now correctly detects and opens links from within the email
- FIXED: Guide would not save zip file attachments
- FIXED: Email prompts were missing, when you selected 'receive new email' on Windows 7 machines
New Activation System:
Guide HandsFree v7 now includes the Dolphin activation system.
- NEW: New Remote Support application included with Guide
- REMOVED: Removed the ability to activate help using the question mark (?) character. Help can be accessed in Guide HandsFree using the command "Help" or "Press key F1"
- FIXED: Scan and Read "Error Message" appearing on the last line of a scanned document
- REMOVED: 'Update from CD' option is no longer required and has been removed from the menu
- FIXED: Guide no longer auto starts when specified not to auto start in installation. NOTE: Guide will auto start the first time following installation so that activation is prompted.
- FIXED: Issue where Guide detects a version of Guide already installed even when there is not
- FIXED: Letters and documents, it was only possible to copy, move or delete documents created with Guide
- FIXED: Problem installing Guide on Windows 7 64bit-GHF-Install error message
- REMOVED: Voice memo and Skype options are removed from GHF menus. It is not recommended that these features are used in Guide HandsFree due to usability issues. These features can be switched on using the shortcut key ALT + A
Please note: Guide HandsFree has revised systems requirements which are published on the Dolphin website. Notably Dragon v11.50 or v12 are required to support Guide HandsFree v7.
For a complete list of features in each release and the latest updates, visit the Guide HandsFree Version History