New Hotkeys in v11.50
Tip: To change which hotkey set is used by your Dolphin software, open the Dolphin Control Panel by holding CONTROL and pressing SPACEBAR. Then press ALT + G to open the "General" menu, press K to open the "Keyboard and hotkeys" dialog where you can choose: keyboard layout, keyboard language and preferred hotkey set. Press OK to save any changes and close the dialog.
In addition to the existing hotkey sets which will continue to be provided and supported, version 11.50 includes a new Dolphin Laptop Universal set. The Benefits of the Universal set include:
- Suitable for both laptop and desktop keyboards.
- Minimises conflicts with hotkeys used by Windows and Windows applications.
- Adopts many industry conventions, so will feel instantly familiar to users who have experience of ‘other’ non-Dolphin screen reading and screen magnification software.
Becoming familiar with the Laptop Universal set:
- CAPS LOCK + the Navigation keys including: cursors, HOME/END, PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN perform basic screen reader speak TEXT at the cursor functions, including: current letter, Word, Line, document, to and from the cursor, Where Am I and Status.
- SHIFT + CAPS LOCK + Navigation keys trigger more screen reader speak text commands, such as: selected text, table columns and rows, to and from cells, headings.
- CAPS LOCK + Number row toggles general screen reader speak modes and settings, such as: key describe mode, keyboard echo, Allow hotkeys through.
- CAPS LOCK + Function keys performs screen reader specific functions, such as: Help, read time and battery.
- RIGHT CONTROL + Arrow keys pan the magnification aperture around the screen.
- LEFT ALT + LEFT SHIFT + Alphabetic keys change magnification and visual settings including: modify magnification area, Colour Scheme On/Off, Doc Reader, Modify Hooked Areas, Magnifier type, Focus Highlights and Line View.
Tip: You can discover the purpose of each hotkey before performing its function using Dolphin's 'Key Describe mode'. In the Universal Set, Key Describe mode can be switched on and off with CAPS LOCK + 1.
Tip: You can use a key other than CAPS LOCK as the custom screen reader modifier (or Dolphin Key). Change this from the Control Panel > General > Keyboard and Hotkeys... > Hotkeys > Dolphin Custom Modifier.
Making the switch to Dolphin software can be made easier by using a familiar hotkey set. Dolphin's competitor emulation hotkey sets have been significantly updated and include feedback received from users.
- JFW Desktop and Laptop sets have been updated.
- New Window-Eyes Desktop and Laptop sets have been added.
- ZoomText hotkeys have also been added.
The list of more than 50 supported keyboard languages found in General > Keyboard and Hotkeys > Language has been extended to include Swiss-German.
Version 11.50 is supplied with an updated Hotkey Reference Guide. This document lists the most popular desktop and laptop hotkey commands for getting started with your Dolphin software. The Hotkey Reference Guide is available from the Downloads section of the Dolphin website or is available free (upon request) in a choice of formats including: print, large print, Braille, DAISY and plain text.
These are new features found in Dolphin's v11.50 Access Tools, read what's new in v11.50 to find out about other features of these products.