Evaluating Supernova - issues

Discuss Dolphin's Magnification and Screen Reading products.
LUE42

Evaluating Supernova - issues

Post by LUE42 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi,

We are currently evaluating supernova for our organization due to issues with our current magnifier solution. I have a couple of questions I hope I can ask here. I tried submitting to the support form but it errored requiring "subject" to be filled out, with no subject field available to fill in.

1) We are finding that the computer does slow down a over time. We are using Windows 10 on fairly high end Lenovo laptops (T470, T580 and P50) - i5-8xxx/i7-8xxx some with 16gb/discreet video. I noticed in another thread a (dead) link to a memory snapshot tool - can I get a new link to that tool?

2) Fuzzyness when scrolling. This is seen everywhere - for example, in applications such as MS Word, Office or even Supernova's help file when scrolling the next blurs and pixelates and only visibly is always playing catchup to smooth. All drivers have been updated. PC is on power, with "best performance" windows settings.

3) Tracking jumping around too much. When using the computer the tracking is constantly jumping around - too much. For example, when creating a new email it jumps to at least 3 spots before settling to the cursor for typing. It is hard to tell but it jumps to one location, then the close button on topright then another... it is dizzying. We obviously want it to track to buttons such as ok/cancel, and where there current typing cursor is but it doesn't been to track to "temporary" windows controls/etc

Any recommendations for any of the above greatly appreciated.

Cory

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin

Re: Evaluating Supernova - issues

Post by Gareth.Collins-Dolphin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Regarding fuzziness when scrolling, please try the following: In your Windows 10 display settings make sure that the display resolution is set to the “(recommended)” resolution for that particular display, i.e. the native resolution of that particular attached display. Also, if you’re using a Windows display scaling factor of more than 100%, try setting Windows 10 display scaling to 100%. Also, make sure that you start SuperNova before any applications that you want to magnify, such as Microsoft Word. Are you running SuperNova directly on the Windows 10 Lenovo laptop itself alongside Microsoft Word etc., or are you running Microsoft Word etc. inside a remote Citrix or Terminal Server session? As an experiment please try attaching an external monitor to see if the same fuzziness issue occurs. But first check that you’re using the Windows 10 “(recommended)” resolution, 100% display scaling, SuperNova is started before the application, and that the application that you’re using is set to “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings” in its Windows 10 shortcut properties.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460-Blurry-display-and-scaling-issues/td-p/3368509

Regarding tracking jumping around too much, from the menu bar of SuperNova’s control panel open the “Visual” menu and select “Advanced Settings…”. In the Visual Advanced Settings dialog box click on its “Tracking” tab and uncheck “Track controls” and “Track windows”. That will make SuperNova’s magnification just track the mouse pointer and text entry caret, which may ameliorate that particular problem. Does this problem happen in all applications, some applications, or just one application? Are you running SuperNova directly on the Windows 10 Lenovo laptop itself alongside Microsoft Word etc., or are you running Microsoft Word etc. inside a remote Citrix or Terminal Server session?

Regarding tracking CPU and memory utilization per process over time. Open the Windows 10 Start menu and in its Search box type: perfmon
and then press ENTER. When the Windows Performance Monitor dialog box opens click on the + sign to add new counters to the graph. The counters relate to different aspects of how your PC works and are grouped by similarity into groups called "Performance Object". For your purpose you can choose the "Process", "Memory" and "Processor" performance objects. You then can see these counters in real-time. You can also specify Windows Performance Monitor to save the performance data for your (and our) inspection later. To do this select "Performance Logs and Alerts" in the left-hand panel (its right under the System Monitor console that provides you with the above mentioned counters. If its not there, click "File" ->"Add/remove snap-in", click “Add” and select "Performance Logs and Alerts" in the list). From the "Performance Logs and Alerts" create a new monitoring configuration under "Counter Logs". Then you can add the counters, specify the sampling rate, the log format (binary or plain text) and log location. If you have some data that indicates that SuperNova is utilizing more and more CPU cycles or memory as the day wears on then if you’re located in Canada or the United States then send the Windows Performance Monitor log file to support.us@yourdolphin.com along with a list of the applications that you had open when SuperNova was at its highest CPU utilization. Otherwise if you're outside north America send it to support@yourdolphin.com. From there we might be able to help you narrow down if an interaction with a particular application is causing SuperNova to consume more CPU cycles or memory. If you have many applications open simultaneously then a process of elimination approach may be needed to narrow down the cause.

LUE42

Post by LUE42 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Thank you for your great response!

We are fully running all the apps on the computer - nothing via Citrix/remote in any way. Scaling is 100%, resolution is native (recommended) monitor resolution. We have tried it on laptops with integrated Intel video (T470), discrete video (T580) and a desktop (M900) with integrated. We have tried plugged in/on battery, with and without external monitor (duplicated/extended or single display). We have Windows set to "high performance" and have turned off all power saving (minimum CPU at 100%, etc). We have also upgraded all drivers to the latest available Lenovo drivers and also tried the Nvidia manufacturer drivers.

Although some are settings are better than others, we haven't found anything that completely gets rid of it. At its best, I think it is manageable (except for possibly some picky users) and at its worst it is dizzying.

We will continue to tweak settings to see if there are any combination that are better than others.

I played around with the various tracking options. I think we need to keep the controls and windows tracking on regardless of the jumping since it needs to go to potential off the screen dialog boxes and other windows at higher magnifications. Using the system with them turned off didn't work well. Comparing apples to apples, we are not seeing the same level of jumpiness out of Zoomtext... like it is not tracking to elements that only appear for a fraction of a second, or while windows are loading - only after things settle down. Perhaps a tracking delay option that can be managed by the user - wait x ms before tracking to last focused element?

System speed has been less of an issue in further testing. We will continue to monitor it and if we get any results that are outside what we would consider "normal" system utilization we'll gather some logs. We have a lot of background security software here. We base our expectations on a system that has all that running on it as opposed to a consumer build of Windows 10 that runs exceptionally fast.

Any other recommendations on the delay when scrolling are appreciated.

Thanks again

Cory

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin

Post by Gareth.Collins-Dolphin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi,

If you were running a ZoomText trial on the same laptop can you see if completely removing the ZoomText trial along with its accessibility display driver and then rebooting the PC makes a difference?

i.e. Open Windows Device Manager and under the "Display adapters" branch see if you have a display driver listed there that belongs to ZoomText (or its manufacturer Freedom Scientific). Try completely removing that display driver (and the ZoomText trial) if it still exists on the laptop and then reboot and make sure that the ZoomText accessibility display driver doesn't reinstall itself. Does that make a difference?

I have one PC with an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti and another with an Nvidia RTX 2060 and I don't experience this problem.

While you scroll the display SuperNova's off-screen model will very very briefly go out of sync. I think ZoomText “solves” this issue by turning off its xFont and image smoothing features while anytning is scrolling.

On SuperNova's menu bar you could try opening the "Visual" menu and selecting the menu item "Advanced Options" and then in the Visual Advanced Options dialog box in the Magnifier tab try setting SuperNova's smoothing to Standard rather than TrueFont. That should speed up things while scrolling. But if you have remnants of ZoomText on the PC that may not help, although I haven't heard of such an issue in the past. Is it visually impaired users that are noticing this issue, or people with normal vision?

With regards to having a user-definable delay if an application briefly sets its focus location to one place on the screen followed by another in quick succession, then SuperNova does not have such an "ignore" feature.

If this is only happening in 1 or 2 applications then what you could so is make those tracking settings changes application-specific so its only in say Outlook where it didn't track controls. So for example have it track windows, caret and mouse in Outlook, but everywhere else have it track everything. If you go to Help & Support ->Support Center from our web site's home page and select the online training link you'll be able to find a tutoiral on how to create application-specific SuperNova settings.

And if its a particular pane in Outlook that is setting the focus to itself intermittently, if that pane is say non-essential, then the user might want to consider hiding/turning off that pane.