map file question, edit area in a tabsheet

Discuss Dolphin's Magnification and Screen Reading products.
jimbr32

map file question, edit area in a tabsheet

Post by jimbr32 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting creating a map file for an application we distribute.

The application is a Delphi win32 application, and uses TRichViewEdit controls in Tabsheets contained in a page control. I'm working with ScreenReader version 18.04

Using the default application mapping, the screenreader always announces the label of the *first* tab displayed, then the text in the richviewedit in the *selected* tab. So I'd like to configure a map file for my application that forces the screenreader to announce the label of the selected tab, instead of the first.

When I view my application in the training dialog, the page control and tabsheet controls display as untrained, and the richviewedit is recognized as an edit area.

I created a new map file and added two new rules: one to map my page control to "tab control" and another to map my tabsheets to "page tab". I used an option on the page tab rule "Force name to be the label of this object".

With rules configured like this, the screenreader now announces the label for the selected tab. But now in the training dialog, the rule for the edit area is discarded. The window indicates the rule was discarded because of Rule 18: "Another object was reported that is of similar size to this one". The new tabsheet rule clashes with the edit area rule.

How can I adjust this so that the label for the selected tab is announced, and the richviewedit area is recognized as an edit area?

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin

Re: map file question, edit area in a tabsheet

Post by Gareth.Collins-Dolphin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 pm

Would it be possible to get an example app that displays this dialog box?

I'm not sure if in the Windows controls hierarchy you've mapped the right control to its correct type in SuperNova terminology. i.e. The "Tabsheet" is near the top of the hierarchy and inside it you have "Property Sheet"(s) and inside a property sheet you have your edit controls etc. Also, inside the "Tabsheet", across its top, you have "Page Control"(s) for each tab.

Maybe that's the issue? However, it might be easier for Dolphin to take a quick look at the app concerned?

I guess it could be something like that, rather than an MSAA or UI Automation rule for the same object clashing.

jimbr32

Re: map file question, edit area in a tabsheet

Post by jimbr32 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks, that was exactly the problem!!

I mapped my page control as a tabsheet with a property sheet beneath it, and that solved the problem. The screenreader now announces the selected tab label and recognizes the edit control.

Thank you again for your help.

Jim