Preferred default settings with automated/network install

Discuss Dolphin's Magnification and Screen Reading products.
LUE42

Preferred default settings with automated/network install

Post by LUE42 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:51 pm

I am setting up an automated, MSI based install. Can you tell me how to set the default settings (global preferences) for users - settings that they will have on first run/install? (Such as automatically checking for updates, reader on or off, dolphin cursor, highlighting settings, etc)

Also, is it possible to disable the Media tab by default? If not, can we remove all the preconfigured list of news, radio and podcasts (so they are empty by default.

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin

Re: Preferred default settings with automated/network install

Post by Gareth.Collins-Dolphin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:48 pm

The default user settings are contained in the file Default Application.atl

I suggest that with an installed version of SuperNova you adjust the settings to how you want your defaults to be for your users and then quit SuperNova. If you then go to the folder C:\Users\<LUE42>\AppData\Local\Dolphin\SnovaSuite1804\Settings (where <LUE42> is your Windows user account name) the file Default Application.atl will contain those preferences.

In order to give your users those preferences copy this file to their AppData\Local\Dolphin\SnovaSuite1804\Settings folder on their PC after installation.

Unfortunately you can't remove the Media tab. However, if you want to stop the news, radio and podcasts feature from working then go to the folder C:\ProgramData\Dolphin\SnovaSuite1804\defaults\scripts and delete all of the files beginning with the word "launchpad_". Similarly, go to the folder C:\ProgramData\Dolphin\SnovaSuite1804\defaults and delete all of the files beginning with the words "Default Application_launchpad". While this won't remove those buttons from the Media tab it will prevent those buttons from doing anything when you press them.

LUE42

Post by LUE42 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:23 pm

I will try that.

Let me just say that your support / response to my forum questions has been excellent. Thank you very much for all your help.

LUE42

Post by LUE42 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin wrote:
> The default user settings are contained in the file Default Application.atl

In a future release, would it be possible to add that file to the files created (copied) when creating a new user profile. A customized version can be stored in and pulled from "c:\ProgramData\dolphin\SnovaReadMag1804\defaults" like it does for the default radio stations, etc.

The issue with your method above is that it only works for "current user" at install time. As a system administrator I would like control of the default user settings a user gets upon first running Supernova every time

Thanks

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin

Post by Gareth.Collins-Dolphin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Try copying "Default Application.atl" to "C:\ProgramData\Dolphin\SnovaSuite1804\defaults" instead.