Amazon Kindle for PC v1.26.0 (55076)

Discuss Dolphin's Magnification and Screen Reading products.
Joe.Pitt-betatester

Amazon Kindle for PC v1.26.0 (55076)

Post by Joe.Pitt-betatester » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am

I'm trying to access the recommended reading for a course I have coming up, The only eBooks I can find are in Kindle format, so I'm using the Amazon Kindle for PC app v1.26.0 (55076) [1]; Amazon lists the books as being "Screen Reader: Supported" with an explanation of "The text of this e-book can be read by popular screen readers. Descriptive text for images (known as “ALT text”) can be read using the Kindle for PC app and on Fire OS devices if the publisher has included it. If this e-book contains other types of non-text content (for example, some charts and maths equations), that content will not currently be read by screen readers.".

I have downloaded the sample to make sure it works, before spending £85 on books!

Supernova Magnifier & Screen Reader 18.05 loads "Amazon Kindle For PC.lua" when the Kindle window is selected, however, I cannot get anything meaningful read out past the library list box; with Dolphin Cursor on, I can read the items in the menu bar, but if opened it does not read the menu items, it reads the tool bar and the side tool bar, "turn page button" and "turn page", then "0% location 1 of 2351 status bar", followed by "bottom".

I'm assuming that as there is a lua file for Kindle for PC it is meant to be supported by Supernova, any tips on getting it to work?

[1] https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlepcdownlo ... klp_hz_win

Gareth.Collins-Dolphin

Re: Amazon Kindle for PC v1.26.0 (55076)

Post by Gareth.Collins-Dolphin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Regarding reading the individual menu items in Amazon Kindle for PC's pull-down menus, please try importing the attached (zipped up) map file into SuperNova to see if it fixes that particular problem. (i.e. Unzip the contents of the attached zip file into a folder on your hard disk and then in SuperNova's control panel go to File ->Import ->Map, import the unzipped map file, and then re-start Amazon Kindle for PC).

I believe the Amazon Kindle for PC app has the following hot keys for self-voicing the reading of its books:

Press CTRL+R to start reading aloud the current page.
CTRL+SHIFT+C toggles continuous reading.
SPACEBAR or F6 Pause/Restart reading (from current position).
Toggle voice (male/female) CTRL+SHIFT+V.
Announce current location within a book CTRL+P.
CTRL+I show basic instructions.
SHIFT+PLUS and SHIFT+MINUS will increase or decrease the speech rate.

These are all commands and features built into the app itself.

If you have any further difficulties you may want to contact U.K. tech support directly.
Attachments
Amazon Kindle For PC.zip
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Joe.Pitt-betatester

Re: Amazon Kindle for PC v1.26.0 (55076)

Post by Joe.Pitt-betatester » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

The file has successfully fixed the menus.

Thanks for the shortcuts too, Amazon does claim that it should also work with 3rd Party Screen Readers too, as well as the read aloud feature; that was the reason for this post, I'd prefer to read in Supernova with the voice and settings I'm used to.