Knowledge Base Article - Q112
Topic: Supernova appears to hang or freeze occasionally during usage
Last updated on:
Applies to: SuperNova Magnifier, SuperNova Magnifier & Screen Reader, SuperNova Magnifier & Speech
NB: Please note that product names in this article may have changed since the time of writing.
Sometimes when using Supernova the system appears to “hang” or “freeze”, and the computer must be restarted to correct the problem.
This type of behaviour is rare, however could occur depending on particular hardware and software configuration. In the unlikely event that your Supernova software does freeze, carrying out some basic troubleshooting steps will help Dolphin Product Support to diagnose the problem for you.
To do this:
1. Make a note of what you were doing prior to the freeze occurring.
2. Make a note of the symptoms of the freeze, for example, if you are running Supernova Access Suite or Supernova Reader Magnifier, does the speech continue after the freeze?
3. If the freeze can be repeated, that is, you encounter a freeze every time you perform a particular task, please tell us what the steps are to repeat the problem.
4. If a specific application is freezing such as Microsoft Outlook, then use the "Task Manager" to "Create a dump" file.
To do this:
- Press LEFT CONTROL + LEFT SHIFT + ESCAPE. The "Task Manager" window opens
- Press LEFT CONTROL + TAB to move to the "Processes" property sheet.
- Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select the application that is hanging. For example, Microsoft Outlook will be listed as "Outlook.exe", Internet Explorer will be listed as "iexplore.exe".
- Press LEFT SHIFT + F10. A context menu opens.
- Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select ""Create Dump File"." and press ENTER. The dump file will be created and saved to the following location on your computer
Dolphin Product Support will be able to advise on what to do with the above dump file (email@example.com).
The information provided in this knowledge base article has been reviewed and is believed to be accurate and is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. In no event shall Dolphin Computer Access Ltd. nor its affiliates assume any responsibility for inaccuracies, errors, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect or omission in this document, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Keep in Touch
Do you have any comments on this article? Send us a message quoting the article reference number: Q112.
Did you find this article useful?