Knowledge Base Article - Q38
Topic: Windows 8: How to make the Internet Explorer tile open the Internet Explorer Desktop Version
Last updated on:
Applies to: ScreenReader, SuperNova Magnifier, SuperNova Magnifier & Screen Reader, SuperNova Magnifier & Speech
NB: Please note that product names in this article may have changed since the time of writing.
By default, the Internet Explorer tile on the Start Screen opens a Metro App version of Internet Explorer. This version of Internet Explorer lacks various options including a menu bar, status bar and favourites list.
You can switch from the Internet Explorer Metro App version to the desktop version by making changes to settings in the Internet Options dialog box.
To do this:
- Press WINDOWS KEY + R. The "Run" dialog box opens.
- Type "iexplore" (without the quotes) and press ENTER. The desktop version of Internet Explorer opens.
- Press ALT + T. The "Tools" menu opens.
- DOWN ARROW to "Internet Options" and press ENTER. The "Internet Options" dialog box opens.
- CONTROL + TAB to the "Programs" page.
- If required, change the following settings:
* Set the "Choose how you open links" list to "Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop".
* Select the Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop check box.
- TAB to the "OK" button and press SPACEBAR. Internet Explorer saves the changes.
The Internet Explorer Start Screen Metro App will now always open the desktop version of Internet Explorer.
The information provided in this knowledge base article has been reviewed and is believed to be accurate and is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. In no event shall Dolphin Computer Access Ltd. nor its affiliates assume any responsibility for inaccuracies, errors, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect or omission in this document, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Keep in Touch
Do you have any comments on this article? Send us a message quoting the article reference number: Q38.
Did you find this article useful?