SuperNova version 13.51 is a free update for all version 13 customers. This release builds on version 13.50's magnification, speech and Braille support for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows XP.
Braille output in computer and literary codes is now available at the Windows logon and secure desktop screens for both 64 and 32-bit Windows 7 and 8 systems (as well as 32-bit Windows XP). The new Braille at logon is particularly beneficial for SuperNova customers who are deaf blind logging on with Braille only. You can confidently logon to Windows using compatible Braille controllers such as the Alva BC640 from Optelec.
You can now also use your preferred speech synthesizer at the Windows logon and secure desktop screens. Choose from Vocalizer, Eloquence, Orpheus, or a favourite third-party SAPI voice.
Other improvements found in SuperNova version 13.51 include fixes for: Windows 8 Mail and Calendar apps (particularly for non-English language versions), a variety of fixes for Microsoft Office 2013 and 2010, plus stability and performance tweaks benefiting magnification, speech and Braille users.
- Speech and Braille output language at logon respects the output language that is currently set in SuperNova. For example, set the voice language from SuperNova Control Panel/Speech menu/General Preferences dialog/Voice and Language tab. The Start-up Language list box is no longer needed and has been removed.
- Added "Braille at user Logon" checkbox to the Start-up Preferences dialog box. Allows Braille only at logon. I.e. when magnification and speech are off.
- If Dolphin SAM (Synthesizer Access Manager) is unavailable at logon then the PC's default SAPI speech synthesizer will be used instead.
- If speech at logon is enabled, the Screen Reader will only be loaded once at logon when a sound device is available.
- Speech at logon is much quicker to load and no longer takes up to 30-40 seconds under certain circumstances.
- First run of logon speech after installing on a new PC now respects the appropriate voice speed setting.
- Logon Service now starts correctly when group policy to "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" is enabled for a domain.
- Disconnecting the Braille display while SuperNova is running, choice of speech synthesizer at logon continues to be respected.
- Windows 8 Mail app - DOLPHIN KEY+M goes directly to the message body. Dolphin Cursor switched on for reading messages. TAB and SHIFT+TAB will move you out of message in Dolphin Cursor mode. Dolphin Cursor now remains in message body as intended while scrolling.
- Windows 8 Mail app and Calendar app - added support for languages other than English.
- File Explorer on Windows 8 - prevent repetitive speech when pop-ups appear.
- System Settings on Windows 8 - avoid repetition by only announcing help text when different from label.
- Pegasus Mail 4.x - on Windows 8 Folders in navigation pane now announced when moving up and down.
- RegEdit on Windows 8 64-bit - tree view now read as expected.
- Reduced unexpected focus jumping.
- Dolphin cursor navigation now more reliable when moving back to Flash elements on web pages.
- More accurate Dolphin Cursor mode switching when working with multiple Internet Explorer windows or tabs.
- Word 2013/2010/2007 - read all buttons in the "Find and Replace" dialog box. improved overall stability when working in documents.
- Outlook 2013 - improved support for edit areas and reading field labels.
- Outlook 2010 - graphics to indicate "Unread" and "Has Attachment" status of emails now read for modified Windows theme.
- Excel 2013 - hotkey to Read formula bar now speaks as expected.
- Windows Media Player 11 and Adobe Reader 10 - added translations for meaningful announcements.
SuperNova General Improvements:
- SuperNova settings now applied appropriately in a Terminal Server environment. Current User settings will be saved if the user is within the same session as their Login, otherwise Local Machine settings will be used (but on a read-only basis). Only applies to network installations.
- Removed superfluous speech on graphics and tables in SuperNova Reader Magnifier.
- Focus prevented from getting stuck on buttons when changing magnification with hotkeys in Doc Reader.
- Microsoft Management Console - more controls now reported.
- Multiple monitors can be used in Windows 8 with a dual head video card.
- Users requiring: True Fonts, Line View or monitors on multiple video cards are advised to continue using Windows 7.
- Development on True Fonts for Windows 8 is in progress and is anticipated to be available this summer.