SuperNova 20.03 introduces new options to Scan and Read, empowering people with low vision to independently annotate printed text and inaccessible PDFs. The 20.03 update also includes enhancements to the clarity of images from a camera in Connect and View, support for the VISULEX Maki video magnifier, plus a host of additional fixes and improvements.
NEW: Annotate scanned text and inaccessible PDFs
SuperNova 20.03 empowers people with low vision to fill out scanned worksheets and forms independently – even if they have not been provided in an accessible format.
With this latest update, users are able to Scan and Read printed documents and inaccessible PDFs, open them in the Doc Reader, and annotate them with text notes, highlights, underlines and more.
Tip: To annotate a document, first use Scan and Read in SuperNova to open a printed document or PDF in the Doc Reader. You can do this using:
a) Scan and Read (in the Media tab) to open text from a scanner, PDF or an image file.
b) Connect and View (in the Visual tab) to scan text from a camera or interactive whiteboard.
Please note – The new Annotations feature is available in editions of SuperNova which include Scan and Read. (Annotations are not available in SuperNova Magnifier).
Once scanned text is opened in the Doc Reader, an annotation can be added by opening the ‘Document’ dropdown button and then choosing the ‘Add annotation’ button.
After an annotation is added, users are able to:
- Change the annotation type. Options include:
Square or circle outline
- Change the colour of the annotation.
- Resize and position the annotation exactly where it’s needed using the mouse or touch screen.
Users can also amend any existing annotations by simply double-tapping or double-clicking them.
Sharing Annotated Documents
As well as adding annotations, SuperNova 20.03 makes it easy to share an annotated document with a teacher or colleague. Once annotations have been added, the ‘Document’ drop down in the Doc Reader provides options to:
- Export the document as a PDF. The export will include any annotations that have been added, ready to share via email or print.
- Copy the document to the clipboard. This option captures an image of document, including any annotations. This image can then be pasted into a Word document or email.
NEW: Settings to enhance the clarity of images from a camera.
SuperNova 20.03 includes new settings in Connect and View to improve the clarity of text from a camera. These new options include:
- Enhanced High Contrast Colours. Makes text and images much clearer when a high-contrast colour scheme is used in Connect and View.
- Auto Freeze Image. Detects when text and images from a camera are not moving and automatically freezes the image. This helps reduce visual flickers which can sometimes appear when viewing text from a document camera.
Both the ‘Enhanced high contrast colours’ and ‘Auto Freeze image’ settings are enabled by default. They can be configured at any time in the Connect and View Settings dialog.
NEW: Support for VISULEX Maki Video Magnifier
The VISULEX Maki video magnifier can now be used in combination with Connect and View in SuperNova. This provides all the benefits a high quality video magnifier with the flexibility of SuperNova to view and enhance text from a camera.
Using SuperNova and the VISULEX Maki together, users can:
- Switch between optical and digital zoom for the clearest view of both printed documents and distance viewing
- Optical zoom provides the highest quality magnification within a fixed viewing area.
- With digital zoom, users can zoom in further and move around the magnified area without having to move the camera.
- Rotate the image, apply a colour scheme and copy the image to the Clipboard.
- Scan the text from the camera to listen to it read out loud in the Doc Reader (Note: scan and read is available in editions of SuperNova which contain speech).
The VISULEX Maki joins the extensive list of specialist video magnifiers and document cameras which can be used with SuperNova Connect and View. Read a complete list of supported video magnifiers and document cameras.
Additional Fixes and Improvements
- FIX: Braille. The driver used in SuperNova to connect to a Brailliant Braille display has been renamed ‘Humanware Braille Displays’. This driver can also be used to connect to other Humanware displays, including the Mantis Q40.
- FIX: Dolphin Cursor. Fix for using the Dolphin Cursor to read text in Windows dialog boxes a character at a time. The Dolphin Cursor no longer returns to the start of the line when the final character is reached.
- FIX: Google Chrome. The quick navigation key ‘E’ can now be used to move the focus to ‘spinnable’ edit areas (e.g. edit areas which can either be typed into or adjusted using a button).
- FIX: Google Chrome. The speech now correctly announces when the value in a ‘spinnable’ edit area is changed.
- FIX: Google Chrome. Fix for using the gmail.com website in Google Chrome. Emails in the inbox are now detected and announced by the speech when SuperNova is in live mode. The speech also now announces all the available information about each item in the inbox, including the sender, subject line, date sent and more.
- FIX: Google Chrome. When using the gmail.com website in Google Chrome, the speech no longer announces tables which are not visible when composing an email.
- FIX: Google Chrome. Fix for using the Gmail web app in Google Chrome. After selecting the ‘Compose’ button, the focus now correctly switches to the email editor.
- FIX: Google Chrome and Firefox. A fix has been applied for reading tables on web pages. Table cells which begin with a symbol (e.g. €, £, $) are now announced as expected.
- FIX: Firefox. When writing a new email on the gmail.com website in Firefox, the speech no longer announces ‘blank line’ each time a character is typed.
- FIX: Firefox. Fix to ensure all of the options in the ‘Bookmarks Library’ dialog in Firefox are announced by the speech.
- FIX: Firefox. The options in the ‘Customise Toolbar’ dialog in Firefox are now correctly announced by the speech.
- FIX: Firefox. Fix to ensure that the ‘History’ list in Firefox continues to be announced by the speech after the list is scrolled.
- FIX: Microsoft Edge. Items in the ‘Favourites’ list in Microsoft Edge are no longer announced multiple times.
- FIX: Microsoft Edge. The ‘More options’ button in the Microsoft Edge Favourites is now announced by the speech as expected.
- FIX: Microsoft Outlook 365. The options in the ‘Search’ dialog in Microsoft Outlook are now announced as expected.
- FIX: Microsoft Outlook 365. The speech no longer announces all of the text in the ‘Advanced Search’ edit area in Outlook 365 each time a character is typed.
- FIX: Microsoft Outlook 365. Fix to ensure the list of emails in the inbox is announced as expected on all computers. This issue only affected a small number of users.
- FIX: Microsoft Outlook 365. When SuperNova’s ‘Custom Application Action 1’ hotkey is pressed on a received email in Microsoft Outlook, the speech now announces the ‘To’ and ‘Cc’ fields as well as the ‘From’ and ‘Subject’ fields.
- FIX: Microsoft Teams. Chat messages in Microsoft Teams are now announced as expected. This issue only affected users who had applied the ‘Magnifier and speech with keyboard’ profile.
- FIX: Read From Here. The speech no longer pauses if users navigate to the first or last line in a document or web page whilst ‘Read From Here’ is speaking.
- NEW: Scan and Read. The default location for scanned text to be saved to has been changed to “My Documents\SuperNova\Scan and Read”. Please note - the output folder for scanned text is configurable from the Scan and Read settings dialog.
- FIX: Scan and Read. If changes are made to the Scan and Read settings before any document has been scanned, the changes are now saved as expected.
- FIX: SuperNova Enterprise. Network administrators can now enable and disable Software Maintenance Agreement reminders using the Enterprise Configuration tool.
- FIX: SuperNova Settings. Capital letters are now announced correctly when the synthesiser pitch is set to maximum and the ‘Increase pitch for spelt capitals’ setting is enabled.
- FIX: SuperNova Updater. Fix for an intermittent issue where the ‘Check for Updates’ option in the Help menu was not functioning correctly for a small number of users.
- FIX: Windows 10 Control Panel. The ‘Add Voice’ pop-up list in the Windows 10 Control Panel is now detected and announced by the speech as expected.
- FIX: Windows 10 Explorer. Fix to ensure the speech announces files and folders in Windows Explorer when other Microsoft applications are also running.
- FIX: Windows 10 Explorer. The ‘Find’ feature of the Dolphin Cursor (accessed by pressing F3) now works correctly in the ‘Properties’ dialog in Windows Explorer.
- FIX: Windows 10 Explorer. When typing text into the Windows Explorer search box, the speech no longer repeats the object type each time a character is typed.
- FIX: Windows 10 Explorer. Files and folders in Hebrew are now announced as expected in Windows Explorer.
- FIX: Windows 10 Start menu. When typing text into the Start Menu’s search bar, the speech now announces the top search result as the user is typing.
- FIX: Windows 10 System Tray. The speech now correctly announces the keyboard language in the system tray.