SuperNova for Developers
Create customised accessibility for your applications with SuperNova
Use industry standard languages, existing development tools and familiar techniques in conjunction with SuperNova to create highly customised, usable and easily maintainable software solutions for people who are partially sighted or blind.
Whether you are a professional programmer with an interest in accessibility, an organisation legally required to make bespoke business applications accessible for your employees with visual impairments, or a creative individual with a great idea, Dolphin's tools for developers mean the only limit is your imagination.
SuperNova is unique in combining a powerful screen magnifier, intelligent screen reader and braille support in one product. SuperNova's API and powerful scripting tools enable developers to reach people with the widest range of visual impairments.
Scripting tools are included with every copy of SuperNova. No additional charges for a special pro or scripting edition, plus no ongoing charges to access the SuperNova API. If you do not own a SuperNova licence, you can even use the free 30-day demo of SuperNova in your projects.
"SAM is the only product I've found that supports as many different types of braille displays with this level of flexibility. From a programmer's point of view it was so easy to use."
Nick Adamson, blind software developer working in the defence industry and author of Dotris Braille Game.
Share speech and braille devices between self-voicing applications. Code once and support dozens of devices. Bypass SuperNova and take complete control of speech and braille output.
- Output to dozens of refreshable braille displays and text to speech synthesisers (TTS) direct from your application.
- Serial, USB and Bluetooth braille devices supported.
- Hardware and software TTS drivers such as SAPI4 and SAPI5 included.
- Respond to button presses from the braille display.
- Control the appearance of specific braille dots. For example a flashing dot in a certain position could correspond with an incoming telephone call on a particular line on a switchboard.
- Example SAM drivers for use as templates to support new devices.
- Established and reliable system used in industry since mid-1990s.
Synthesiser Access Manager (SAM) is a software component developed by Dolphin for use in SuperNova and ScreenReader. For more information about SAM and how it can be used in your projects contact sam@YourDolphin.com
"Screen readers traditionally don't support Project applications. If I can't use Microsoft Project, I couldn't work in Programme Control Services. When I heard Dolphin did Scripting, I was all over it. This is fantastic! Now there is no limit to what can be read."
Ed Pourtahmasbi, Project Management Specialist at Accenture.
Enhance the accessibility and usability of existing third-party applications for users with a range of visual impairments. Call magnification, speech and braille functions from a single script; generate custom dialogs, simplify development with the integrated development environment, protect your intellectual property with secure encryption and manage translation to dozens of languages with prompt files.
- Simplify access with magnification, speech and braille in a single script to serve clients with different levels of sight.
- Create scripts for SuperNova Magnifier or Screen Reader editions that can easily be extended later to include alternate screen access methods if visual needs change.Simplify and automate lengthy processes, improving user efficiency.
- Dolphin Scripting dovetails with Dolphin’s Mapping system, a unique interface for training and prioritising SuperNova’s Window, MSAA and Shape detection systems.
- Dolphin scripts are created using Lua, a non-proprietary, open source scripting language. Lua is easily adopted by script writers. As a Lua scripter you can be part of a well-established community supported with: online forums, Lua books and utilities.
Dolphin can also offer on-site scripting consultations where we can provide a quote for creating a script to allow improved access to suit your situation. Contact us for more details or to arrange an appointment.
"NovaTalk has made a change to my ability to earn a living even when my health is bad. NovaTalk has allowed me to control SuperNova by voice. I'm now using commands which I didn't know were there."
Hussein Patwa, Extra Solutions, who used the Dolphin API and Dolphin Scripting to create NovaTalk, middleware enabling blind and partially sighted users to control their PC by voice.
Programmatically adjust magnification, speech and braille parameters, query SuperNova status information and instruct SuperNova to announce custom messages direct from your application. You can also remotely load scripts and call script functions.
- From your application, identify which SuperNova edition is running.
- Retrieve and set dozens of magnification, speech and braille parameters from your application.
- Call SuperNova functions such as reading the current line or moving the magnification.
- Programmatically send custom messages to be announced by SuperNova. For example a communications app can easily report live updates to a screen reader user, even when your app is running in the background.
- Support for loading and unloading Lua scripts plus calling individual script functions from the API.